How To Use Remote Desktop To Connect To A Windows 10 PC?
How to use remote desktop to connect to a Windows 10 PC? Well, Microsoft Windows 10 allow their users to set up a remote desktop connection to connect your Windows 10 PC. That mean, We can connect to one Windows 10 PC to another Windows 10 PC from two different locations. So, In today’s WindowsEver guide, We are going to learn how to use remote desktop to connect to a Windows 10 PC?
Before that, The best thing about Windows 10 remote assistance is, You can access your all computer programs, files, and data of your home computer without getting any error. You just need an internet connection, and both the PC turned on.
Let’s take an example to understand How to use remote desktop to connect to a Windows 10 PC?
As we all know, A good example is the best precept 🙂
ALSO READ: How to get help in Windows 10?
Here we will take help of LastPass and PayPal to understand the uses of RDC in Windows 10.
So, the situation is…
You need to make a payment, Unfortunately, Your phone is turned off and your Windows 10 PC/laptop is not with you 🙁
Furthermore, Like me, You also use LastPass to generate unique passwords and save your all valuable credentials. In that case, you will need your laptop to make payment via PayPal by entering the PayPal credentials using LastPass secure wallet.
Here, Remote desktop connection Windows 10 will be the best solution…
..Simply, You will go to the nearest internet cafe which is readily available in any location, turn on any computer, open RDC and connect it to your home laptop.
Boom! Get the credential from LastPass and then log in to your PayPal account. And Make payment easily.
There are many of other examples available to understand why we use remote desktop to connect to a Windows 10 PC, but I think the above example is enough to understand the uses of Remote Desktop connection in Windows 10.
But, there is a big difference between WHY and HOW…
So, let’s move ahead and grab How to use remote desktop to connect to a Windows 10 PC?
Here We GO–>–>
- 1 How To Use Remote Desktop To Connect To A Windows 10 PC?
- 1.1 1. Enable Remote Desktop: How To Use Remote Desktop To Connect To A Windows 10 PC?
- 1.2 2. Basic Setting For Both RDC’s: Enable Remote Desktop
- 1.3 (Over Local Network/Over the Internet)
- 1.4 3. Find IP Address
- 1.5 Find My Public IP Address: To Connect PC To the Internet
- 2 How To Start Remote Desktop Connection: Remote Access Windows 10
How To Use Remote Desktop To Connect To A Windows 10 PC?
I will surely keep this method as comfortable as possible with the help of easy to understand infographic Diagrams and suitable screenshots.
Before explaining the steps to know, How to use RDC to connect to a Windows 10 PC, We will go through the Overview of the entire process…
Now the steps are as under:
1. Enable Remote Desktop: How To Use Remote Desktop To Connect To A Windows 10 PC?
The term RDP(Remote Desktop Protocol) allows two computers to connect with each other. But, This Microsoft remote desktop feature is disabled by default.
First of all, we’ll enable RDP to connect two remote computers.
If Windows 10 Remote desktop is missing from your PC/Laptop, don’t get tensed at all. Because, Without turning on Microsoft Remote Desktop, You cannot connect any Windows 10 remote desktop client.
2. Basic Setting For Both RDC’s: Enable Remote Desktop
(Over Local Network/Over the Internet)
Follow the steps to allow remote desktop connection in Windows 10.
- Let’s get started with Cortana Windows 10 and type Remote Settings.
(If you can’t find Cortana in your Windows 10 PC. Resolve your problem “why isn’t Cortana available on my Windows 10 PC” here by getting help in Windows 10)
- Now, Remote desktop Windows 10 home Window with the name System Properties will appear
- Go to the Remote tab, and you can see two new options Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop
- Under the Remote Assistance check the checkbox “Allow remote assistance connections to this computer.”
- Now, Moving toward the Remote Desktop tab
- Here check on Allow remote connections to this computer and uncheck Allow connections only from computers running Remote desk…as it can complicate the setup process
- And we are just done, click on Apply and then Ok to finish settings to enable remote desktop.
Good To Know: “Allow connections only from the computer running remote desktop with network level authentication,” This option is beneficial for security purpose and it will set up authentication and will allow only those people to connect who are known to you.
You can select this option later to add your known people credentials.
So guys! We have made the basic settings for Windows 10 RDC to enable the remote desktop feature.
3. Find IP Address
Now it’s time to find IP address, ie. Local IP address & Public IP address.
Find Local IP Address: To Connect PC To Local Network
Step 1. Open Command Prompt.
Step 2. Type “ipconfig” and press Enter.
Step 3. Note the IPv4 Address information, which is the address that identifies your computer on the local network.
Find My Public IP Address: To Connect PC To the Internet
If you wish to connect remote desktop over the internet, you will need to find your public IP Address to connect to another device.
The steps are as under:
Step 1. Open Google Chrome web browser or another web browser.
Step 2. Type “What is my IP” and press Enter.
Step 3. Your public IP address should be the first result.
Now we have our full material to connect Windows 10 PC to remote desktop.
As we have completed our 80% of the process to connect remote desktop, let’s take a look at how to start a remote desktop connection.
Finally, we will reach our goal to learn how to use remote desktop to connect to a Windows 10 PC after completing this last step. In this final part of connecting remote desktop, please follow few more steps.
Before this, firstly revise what we have done in short:
- We have enabled remote desktop successfully
- Collected Local IP address
- or, Our Public IP address too
That means we have all the essential materials to connect remote desktop.
That’s Great! 🙂 Now we can start the remote desktop connection.
Here we go==>
How To Start Remote Desktop Connection: Remote Access Windows 10
- Into the device, that you will be using to connect to your PC remotely, Open Remote Desktop connection or remote desktop app.
Good to know: If you don’t have the remote desktop app, you can get it from Windows 10 app store. Just type “remote desktop connection Windows 10 download“.
- Click on the Add(+) icon and then go to the Desktop Option.
- Enter the local IP address, If you are trying to connect to your PC over the Local Network
- And, Enter the Public IP address, If you wish to connect to your PC over the Internet connection
- Click on Add Account.
- Moreover, Enter the account information of the remote computer
Good to know: If your remote computer is using a Local account, enter the local ID(Username) and password. And If the remote computer is using Microsoft account, Enter their Microsoft account Information.
- Hit the Save Button
- While completing the remote desktop connection process, A certificate warning will come, check on the option Don’t ask for this certificate again
- Lastly, Hit Connect, to complete the remote desktop connection process
- Now successfully operate the remote desktop
So Guys! We have successfully learned how to use remote desktop to connect to a Windows 10 PC?
You may also face this issue:
Windows 10 Remote Desktop Is Not Working: Which Versions Of Windows 10 Can Use Remote Desktop Connection?
If Windows 10 remote desktop is not working, that can be because of your running Windows 10 version. If you are using Windows 10 home edition, then you have to upgrade your device to Windows 10 Pro.
Only Windows 10 Pro users can access remote connection. You will not find any settings to enable remote desktop connection with Windows 10 home edition.
To check your Windows 10 version:
Windows Sign > Right Click > System > Windows Edition.
By resolving the above-given issue, Windows 10 Remote Desktop Is Not working; We are successfully done with this ultimate guide how to use remote desktop to connect to a Windows 10 PC?
If you like this guide, Do not forget to hit the Like Button. Share this post with your family, friends and with others to help in establishing a remote desktop connection.
Recommended: How To Use Dynamic Lock In Windows 10?
Also, share on Facebook, Twitter, and other social sites.
Feel free to use comment box given below if you have any question regarding RDC. Also, if you want to give your valuable suggestions and feedback. It will be appreciated.